Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Running!

Anyone who knows me knows I hate running. It has NEVER been anything that I was interested in. I thought that people who enjoyed running were crazy and truth be told, I still do. BUT I have decided to take it up. I'm running a half marathon in April with Adam and some friends. I have started training and I'm using this program that is for beginners. Beginners my butt!! The first week we had to run 5 miles! Geez!!! But I did it, kind of. I had to walk a few times. My problem is no longer serious side cramps or gasping for air, but it's my dang knees. Never before have I felt so extremely old. When I run, it feels like my knee cap is going to fly out of my knee. I sleep in Icy Hot every night and take 2 Mortins everyday. Some of you might be laughing and saying it's only 5 miles but like I said, I have NEVER liked running which is exactly the reason I decided to do it. I want to push myself and overcome a hurdle that I thought was completely impossible. I struggled running one mile and now that's simple. I'm really proud of my 5 miles....now if only a half marathon was 5 miles!

4 comments:

Becky said...

I'm feeling your pain! I ran 4 miles on Sunday and was so proud of myself!!! Then I ran just 2 today on the treadmill and it was totally different. I feel like the world's biggest wimp!!! I hope I can be ready for the 1/2 in May!

Linz said...

Thinking about climbing Mt. St. Helens, too? Way to go Nikki!

Unknown said...

Yeah for running! I hope your knees start to feel better cause that is miserable!! Is Adam training with you also? You guys are going to inspire us to run a race again...or maybe not! :)

McNicoll Family said...

I compeletly feel your pain! When I was training for my half marathon a few years ago I couldn't walk b/c my knees hurt so bad. So...I ran the race and I haven't run another mile since! I have taken up biking and swimming instead. Much better on my knees! Good luck and I hope the knees start feeling better!